5.7.10

Melba toast

Horrid Peace, how are you? Back again, 
back and ready as ever
back for good.
I sit outside on the roof most days and look over the trees,
planes curl away from the house; drawn by some huge magnet
Peace on all things,
weighing on all things and all's mind -
in the evenings I find myself in the kitchen;
Eat three strawberries, go to bed

Tomorrow: 
Mopping up sodden remnants of half digested cat food
and sleeping through the football.
Curtain harasses old blue-eyes, pink-nose,
Wind laughs in the background,
The cat sits up and they both leave the room.

Soaking Jurassic tree in the garden,
I hose it entirely,
Green leaves darken and glint
Oven sun presses his face against them,
'Remember, nothing lasts for ever.'
Gas-cloud sun poisons leaves' day,
but I enjoy it

Then climb the stairs with Melba toast,
three or four strawberries
and a tomato to eat like an apple

No comments:

Post a Comment